Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Blue buttons!

There has been lots of knitting and sewing for me lately. I wouldn't say my mojo is really back in full force, yet, but it's trickling in. I've just been really lazy about blogging it all!

First up is a little sewing.
I've done some sewing back in the day but with little knowledge or skill. I get by with following pattern instructions and the sewing hints given in them...usually accompanied by lots of frustration.
In surfing the net I came across this Amy Butler sewing book. Such cute patterns for babies. I decided to tackle a diaper bag. Luckily many knitters have interests and skills in sewing...and luckily I have a great knitting friend who not only has these skills but she also has a plethera (yes, many, many, many) of sewing machines:)
Off to a local quilting store a few of us went...to find that perfect fabric.

I treated myself to some Amy Butler fabric, in gender neutral colours. I bought everything on the list...not even knowing what half of it was...and made plans for sewing!
Under Lise's watchful eye and learning some of her skills, I came out with this:

AB bag pockets

It is the perfect size for baby things...and some knitting things! Some nice big pockets to hold diapers...and yarn.

AB bag

To finish it all off...I had left some extra fabric lying around Lise's house...and the next time I was over I magically had a set!

AB bag set

She made me a matching little knitting project bag! Thanks Lise!

I have also managed to finish up a little baby sweater. A simple knit in a basic colour. Every baby needs a neutral cardigan in their wardrobe.

garter yolk sweater

Started: Feb 25, 2010
Finished: March 2010
Pattern: Garter Yolk Baby Cardi by Jennifer Hoel
Yarn: Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino in beige/stone. I made the 6 months size and I believe I used a little of a third ball.
Adjustments: I chose to knit a garter button band, which worked out perfectly. Of course you noticed the buttons...

bus buttons

Cute little blue bus buttons...yes blue. Another boy!

12 comments:

Thea said...

Both are perfect! and coordinated.

Kara said...

Two cute things in one post! Both are so fab.

yarnpiggy said...

I love both! I wish I had the patience to learn to sew; figuring out knitting is trouble enough for me! :-)

Annette said...

I love Amy Butler patterns and fabrics! Your diaper bag came out great. Congrats on having another boy!

lynn said...

Carolyn, you'll have to change your blog name...so much yarn,sew little time !

Helena Dias said...

Congratulations on the baby boy.

grumperina said...

Awww, it's another boy! I guess you're used to them by now :). The little sweater is adorable, and your diaper bag looks awesome!

TracyKM said...

Congrats on the boy!
DOes the diaper bag stand up on it's own? I need a music bag, and I'd love one that stands up. How'd you do that? Is the book instructions good enough for a somewhat novice to do it on their own? I've sewn dresses, but it usually involves a lot of googling and trips to the library!

Sue said...

Your sewing skills are fabulous, what a very trendy bag, perfect for baby or for knitting. Love the chocolate and aqua to, a great combo! The little knitting bag is cute too! Congrats on another little baby boy, the cardigan is just gorgeous.

~Jody said...

That bag is lookin mighty professional! What's the pattern - I love it!

amanda said...

Beautiful bag - I made the same one last year while preggo and we love it as our diaper bag. Yours is lovely!

The sweater is great, too. Congrats!

A Bunch of Knits said...

oh fabulous bags! and cute cardi~